Live Professional Development

Since I am a novice to online education, I wanted my focus of this assignment to be centered around gaining as much information as possible. I attended live chats and webinars that encompass different aspects to education technology and teaching online, including online development, assessment to online student safety and being good digital citizens.

Twitter Chats
10/9/17 - #flipclass discussion on Student-centered classroom.
I found value in the conversation but it was all very foreign to me. I had trouble keeping up. I have used the flipped classroom model in the past and have found that students engage in the content way more. I think that a fully online course offers an opportunity for the student to feel like they are in charge of their education and that creates ownership.
10/11/17 - #iolchat – Microcredentials in Higher Ed
This Tweetchat provided insight into micro-credentialing and what purpose collecting badges for specific content areas. I found the discussion to be interactive (Q1/A1) style. Participants were engaged and offered valuable insight. There were only three participants in this chat myself and two others.


10/11/17 – #LTHEchat – “Warning! May or may not include technology”
This Tweetchat focused on using a Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) approach to supporting learning and teaching. This chat happened really fast and was hard for me to keep up. Participants were answering questions in different order and there would be 10-20 tweets per 30 sec. I contributed by answering the questions posed by the facilitator. There was a lot of discussion around learning development and assessment.

10/16/2017 - The Value of Peer Feedback


Peer feedback is an essential element in healthcare education. This Tweetchat was valuable and provided insight from instructors in different areas. This chat provided a great discussion about how to facilitate effective peer feedback. My peer feedback practices were validated during this chat. I contributed by starting the discussion about small group interaction for feedback.


Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 4.39.34 PM.png

Live Webinar Discussions
10/9/2017 - Close the Achievement Gap: Targeted District Strategies to Support All Learners
While I do not teach at this level, I still found value in the discussion. The webinar was focused on meeting standards and utilizing formative assessment to improve student experience by using systematic interventions to make the student’s experience more personalized, with “varying approaches to levels of readiness, needs, interests, and confidence”. The presenter addressed the communication that needs to happen in the classroom. I contributed to the discussion by reinforcing this point and stating that student to student and student to teacher discussions are important for assessing what areas need more attention. I shared my own experience of using a formative assessment in my own class, prior to a lesson, and then facilitating a discussion immediately after. This helps me fill in the gaps for students.
10/11/17 - Roadmap to Districtwide Digital Citizenship Adoption
The focus of this webinar is really focused on K-12 implementation of the CommonSense Digital Citizenship program, which doesn’t necessarily apply to my situation specifically. The idea of implementing the CommonSense – Digital Citizenship in the K-12 time period is a great idea but I think that it could be adapted for a freshman year seminar or something, that provide college students resources to keep themselves safe and informed on being good online citizen’s. Most of the participants were K-12 teachers but there were come that were school librarians and higher ed instructors.
10/11/17 - Coding + STEAM: Getting Students Future Ready
Great webinar on coding and implementing games, technology and play into education. There were a lot of participants and comments went very quick. Jon Samuelson is an Innovation Strategist in the Beaverton, OR school district. I am not sure how I can implement this in my instruction but this topic helps me understand how I can think of activities that are “outside the norm”, even in my field.
There was discussion about how “play” can be a bad word in education and the presenter advocated for play. I contributed by mentioning the level of student engagement increases when play is introduced.
There was discussion about meeting standards associated with coding different activities. This is one area that I tend to not think about but it is useful to link what content areas are meeting the need of different standards.

10/12/17 - Keeping Your Students Safe Online: The Toledo Model - Learning.com
This webinar outlined the curriculum the Toledo Public School system implemented as an online safety program. The host was Learning.com and the presenters were Shannon Bischoff and Amy Graver from the Toledo Public School system. They work as technology facilitators for the district. The presentation provided insight into their experience with the implementation of the curriculum in two categories, K-8 and 9th grade (freshman). I was hoping for an all-encompassing online safety discussion. I contributed by providing my focus on higher ed and asked if there were resources for this level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Professional Digital Footprint

Is it Twittering or Tweetering?

Tips for a Positive Digital Footprint